Recently, I received some disappointing news about a medicine I was prescribed – I’ve heard great stories of it helping others’ physical and mental health – but it wasn’t covered under my insurance. I was so excited and hopeful when my doctor and I initially discussed it – that it would not only help me physically, but also emotionally as well.
Waiting. We often are waiting for many things. But how will we wait? That is what will determine our ability to enjoy the journey and grow through the waiting process.
I realized I placed my hope in an outcome or circumstance, not in the goodness of God no matter what would happen. I am discovering how often I put my hope in circumstances without first placing my anchor of hope in God Himself. I want God to heal me now and answer my prayers now. Honestly, it has been hard to wait on the Lord for the full manifestation of healing in my life.
So where is your hope? How do you wait on the Lord with hope for healing and answers to your prayers?
A verse in the The Passion Translation explains how to wait on the Lord so clearly: Psalms 27:14 states, “Here’s what I’ve learned through it all: Don’t give up; don’t be impatient, be entwined as one with the Lord. Be brave and courageous, and never lose hope. Yes, keep on waiting-for he will never disappoint you!”
Let’s break this down into 6 steps on how to wait on the Lord:
- “Don’t give up” -If we don’t give up, we eventually will experience breakthrough. Satan wants us to feel defeated and discouraged, but we are called to rise up!
- “Don’t be impatient” -God’s promises are always true, but sometimes the process takes longer than we think it should. However, impatience only causes frustration and steals our peace.
- “Be entwined as one with the Lord” – We are to stay in close communion with the Lord, seeking intimacy with Him above all else. He’s more concerned with us knowing Him then giving us an immediate breakthrough. Again, the process is what is beautiful in drawing us closer to Him through it all
- “Be brave and courageous” – This is a call to trust in the Lord and not to fear. Set your sights on Him, not on the things around you that may be going wrong.
- “Never lose hope” – We are to hold onto the hope that is found in Jesus, no matter what our circumstances look like.
- “Keep on waiting-for he will never disappoint you” – God reinforces our need to keep on waiting, to be persistent, for He truly does not disappoint.
Isaiah 60:22 says: “When the time is right, I, the Lord will make it happen.” Oh how this verse cuts to the deep sovereignty of God in our lives! In HIS timing, He will make it happen. In his timing AND His way, He will help me get healthier and heal. But how badly I want it NOW. How I’ve wept in bitter frustration over the length of the process, especially in healing for mental illness. I could tell you why it’s not fair, how hard I’ve tried, how much I’ve sought the Lord and His healing, yet here I am, still walking out this journey. In the middle of this frustration and anger, I believe I’ve missed some of the joyful moments and breakthroughs along the road. I’ve missed the joy of my salvation in knowing God through this process, of hearing His gentle, kind words through the pain. I’ve turned away when I should have ran to Him. Yet through it all, He loves us and gently woos us back to relationship with Him.
Let’s take a step of faith today and wait on the Lord with hope.
Copyright 2020 Marie Lorah